Monday, September 08, 2008

He doth protest too much, methinks

A little Freudian slip from Mr. Obama?

'"If you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it,’' Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.

So he tried again. 'Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,' he said. 'This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.'" (Emphasis mine)

It most certainly can and will be the reason not to vote for you, sir. I don't think you managed to convince the doubters in your "hand-picked crowd". Good luck fooling everyone else.

Bill Clinton supposedly didn't have the votes in 1994 to pass the Assault Weapons Ban, either, but it somehow got passed. The bully pulpit of the White House is a very hard thing to resist, particularly for legislators of the same party. It's probably best that Obama never gets a chance to "refine" or "nuance" his views on the subject, a la Clinton.



(From Jacob via Syd)

No comments: