Friday, October 31, 2008

Why I carry a handgun for protection, Vol. 9

So that when three thugs break into my Scottsdale, Arizona house at 4 a.m., beat me and everyone else in the house senseless, and then proceed to ransack the place for hours in search of valuables while claiming that this is "their own form of redistribution of wealth" (Thanks, Obama!), I'll have a fighting chance of defending myself and my family.

This disturbing incident occurred less than 2 miles from my own home, by the way, so it's entirely possible that these same curs could soon target my dwelling as well.

Luckily for me, Arizona is one of the states that has a "castle doctrine" law. Uninvited intruders in one's home are presumed to be up to no good, and the use of deadly force to neutralize the threat that they represent is entirely legal. Of course, this law is one of many that groups such as the Brady Campaign preach are entirely unnecessary, and that good folks who live in quiet neighborhoods don't experience this sort of crime.

Except when they do, as in this case. Response, Brady Campaign? (Silence)

Everyone would do well to take the words of the victim of this latest home invasion, Keith Nickels, to heart:

"But he also feels that he was 'too complacent' in his attitude. 'We live in a nice part of town and thought nothing like this would ever happen here,' Nickels said."

Please learn from his mistake, and prepare yourself to deal with a similar situation. Brutal, random crime can happen anywhere, especially in the "nice part of town". After all, that's where the good stuff is, and criminals, being lazy, tend to go for the easy pickin's that also happen to yield a lot of high-quality stuff to fence.

No comments: