Friday, November 21, 2008

The Jack-Booted Thug(s) of the Week...

...are the two Howard County, Maryland police officers who kicked and punched a suspect after he had clearly given himself up after a high-speed chase:





Yes, the suspect led cops on an extremely dangerous chase, the adrenaline is undoubtedly flowing and the officers have not only the right but the obligation to treat the situation with the highest caution, for their own safety as well as that of the innocent motorists caught at the scene.

Those caveats, however, don't excuse the cop who at :37 on the video takes a flying kick at the suspect's head after he was laying on the ground for at least three full seconds with his arms spread wide, or the other cop who punches the man repeatedly in the body until the other officers in the blue uniforms can pull him away.

Kudos to Howard County Police Chief Bill McMahon, who is quoted as stating, in part:

"I've seen the video and I have some concerns... Some of what I saw on that video is clearly not what I expect from my officers. It is not acceptable... I have directed our internal affairs division to conduct an investigation into some of the actions that took place during the arrest... Even though this suspect put innocent lives at risk on the road, I always want my officers to meet the highest possible standards."

That seems like a fair handling of the situation to me, at least so far. Police officers just cannot go out of control like that and remain unpunished.

No comments: