Thursday, December 18, 2008

This is the mindset we're dealing with

I emailed this morning's blog post to columnist and author Jacquelyn Mitchard (whose work I have often enjoyed and admired), seeking comment. To her credit, she responded in a timely manner. Not so much to her credit, here is her response, in total:

"Why is this a news story?
Man bites dog ... she could have done the same thing with a ball bat.
I know. I have."


Heartless. Absolutely heartless.

Ms. Mitchard, I'm honestly glad that your defensive situation turned out well for you. Now how about women who are elderly or disabled, and therefore can't swing that bat as well as you apparently did? The woman in the story was 57 years old, after all. Certainly not geriatric, but she was no spring chicken, either.

Additionally, confronting an intruder from across a room with a firearm is infinitely safer for the homeowner (whether they're male or female) than having to engage the robber in hand-to-hand combat with what is essentially a large, styled stick. Don't we owe our society's females that advantage, at least? The old saying is quite corny, but it does have some truth to it after all:

"God made man and woman, but Col. Colt made them equal."

It's clear that this generation of feminists will never be convinced of the critically important role that the safe, lawful use of firearms has in society, even when shown the obvious advantages of them, particularly for women. We're therefore going to have to work on the next generation, and redouble our efforts to inculcate our successful arguments to them before they get corrupted by the current generation's mindset.

Take one (or more) to the range soon.

2 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

Going to my grandmothers', I had the pleasure of driving past one of Illinois' big penitentiaries. If it was summer, you'd see the men out there lifting weights.

Big men. Strong men. Guys who if they'd paid attention to the football the way they did to crime could have played for the Bears. Not QB, WR, or punter. Linebacker.

No way I'm going to take them on with a ball bat if I've got a gun handy. My mom?

If that's all she's got, OK, but....I think I'd prefer my S&W, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

So Ms. Mitchard's problem is not with lethal force, just the tool that was used? If she killed an intruder with a baseball bat, that's awesome, but I'm not sure that this woman I know who is an amputee would be able to do the same. I'm glad that she has a firearm that she knows how to use, in case someone figures that she's an easy target due to her age (nearly seventy) and her disability. I'll suggest the baseball bat to her next time I see her, because I love to make her laugh.