Monday, April 06, 2009

The Phoenix police need further education in how not to harass citizens who are engaged in legal activities

Carlos Miller, who does an excellent job documenting such things, reports on multiple incidents of Phoenix, Arizona cops harassing people innocently photographing the Sandra Day O'Connor Federal Building while standing on public property:

"William J. Nash-McAdam told the Downtown Phoenix Journal that he and a friend were detained by a Phoenix cop last weekend who took their identifications and informed them that they had violated some Homeland Security statute.

When they asked him to cite the specific statute, the cop told them to “Google it,” according to the article."

Infuriating. How about you "Google" the Constitution, you officious jerk?

Another photog was rousted for daring to shoot pictures of skateboarders while using the building for a backdrop:

"When they were done taking photos, a Phoenix motorcycle cop pulled up and asked to see their film permit.

“He told me I needed to have one and I could NOT take pictures of the courthouse,” Perez said in an email to Photography is Not a Crime."

A permit is indeed required - for commercial work, not for tourists snapping pics of the building they paid for.

I think I'm going to mosey on down to the area this week and indulge in some sight-seeing, as I haven't been to that part of town yet. I may even take some pictures to document my travels.

No comments: