Friday, September 05, 2008

I'm on board

Regular readers of this blog will know that I wasn't too excited, to say the least, about John McCain's winning of the Republican Presidential nomination.

My problem with him was mainly his sponsorship of deeply flawed legislation, some of which was passed into law (the McCain-Feingold Incumbent Protection Act campaign finance "reform") and some of which wasn't (the McCain-Kennedy Illegal Immigrant Amnesty Bill comprehensive immigration "reform"), along with his seeming ignorance of how the conservatives in this country feel about these and other issues important to them.

Basically, I was reduced to tepidly endorsing McCain mostly because, as flawed as he is, he isn't the oncoming train wreck that is Barack Obama.

Watching McCain's speech last night, I saw a candidate who projected a humility heretofore unseen, as well as reassuring answers to many of the pressing issues that concern myself and others. For these reasons, combined with his stellar pick of Sarah Palin as a running mate, I can now comfortably vote for the Republican ticket in November, instead of sitting out as planned.

(Am I now in violation of McCain-Feingold for endorsing John McCain? Such irony. And no, I don't care one bit if I am guilty. The First Amendment trumps that law, despite what the Supreme Court says.)

No comments: