Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Casing a joint for a little ATM terrorism? Hardly

Blogger Shane Becker fills us in on how his taking a picture of two Loomis rent-a-cops filling an ATM in full view of a queue of people waiting to be helped at a Seattle REI ended up with him spending the afternoon in handcuffs at the police station.

Apparently you're supposed to not take any interest whatsoever in such a "sensitive" operation, particularly when it is being carried out right in front of you in a public place. Who knew?

"The Loomis guys wanted me to give them my ID so they could write a report about me for their bosses because I took the picture of them and the open ATM. The REI security people that had been called in by now wanted the same thing. I told them plainly that I’m not in the habit of giving my ID to people just because they want it, especially fake cops who put money in box and get to play at being real cops."

Well played.

We've just spent our last dime at REI unless and until they adopt a significantly different attitude, and right quick at that.

This incident does bring back fond memories for us, as we personally experienced a similar situation in the past, albeit for a slightly different reason.


(h/t to Dave at the Forum)

No comments: