Thursday, April 12, 2007

Another stand-up official in Wisconsin

Back in February I blogged about a police chief in Wisconsin who wrote himself a ticket for passing a stopped school bus's flashing lights and extended stop arm. I was very impressed with the chief's honesty and integrity in holding himself accountable to the same standards that he uses in ticketing the public.

Well, it's happened again.

Brown County, Wisconsin Sheriff Dennis Kocken ticketed himself on March 27 for an unsafe lane change he made while following a suspected speeder. Even though both the investigating officer and the local district attorney decided not to cite him, he felt that he deserved the ticket, so he went ahead and wrote it.

What is really refreshing is not the fact that the officers wrote themselves up, it's the sentiments they express while explaining their actions:

"As sheriff, I'm held to the highest standard in law enforcement. How can I hold officers accountable if I don't hold myself accountable?" he said. "I'm satisfied I'm doing the right thing."

Now that's leadership.

The residents of Wisconsin are truly lucky to have men such as these be their public servants. They "get it" that police officers are subject to the same laws as the rest of us. Sheriff Kocken and Chief Knoebel can work in my community anytime.

Sadly, the Canadian media website that I got the story from lists it under "Oddities". I beg to differ. I think it should be filed under "All Too Rare".

No comments: