Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why I carry a handgun for protection, Vol. 8

So that if two teenage animals attempt to carjack and kill me, just like they allegedly successfully did to off-duty correctional officer Bradley Gerrard in Buckeye, Arizona on October 18, I will be able to defend myself and my family from the deadly assault.

"The 15- and 16-year-old Buckeye residents were arrested Wednesday night and could face charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery, Buckeye police said in a news conference Thursday. The suspects' names weren't released because they're minors."

Police believe that Officer Gerrard's employment had nothing to do with the crime, and currently consider it a random robbery attempt. That's of small comfort to his pregnant wife and two-year-old son, though.

Here is another example of the type of brutal, random street crime that anti-gun organizations such as the Brady Campaign fervently maintain is so rare that the average person need not worry about it. Well, when the "rare" incident happens to you the chance of it happening is 100%, and this and other types of violent crime unfortunately can happen at any time or place, as Gerrard sadly found out the other night while simply running to Wal-Mart to buy an air mattress for arriving houseguests.

If a tragedy such as this can happen to an individual who is highly trained in self-defense and situational awareness like Officer Gerrard, it can happen to anyone. Please use this incident as a wake-up call and take the time and effort to train yourself to properly carry and use a firearm for personal defense, if you haven't already and it's legal in your area to do so.

For the second time this week, our heartfelt sympathies go towards the family of a slain public safety worker, although this one's passing wasn't job-related like Phoenix police officer Shane Figueroa's was. Godspeed, sir.

2 comments:

My Local Hosting Inc said...

This story is eirily familiar to me personally. I was an off-duty Correctional Officer at a prison outside of Greenville SC years ago when I was a very young man. I was 21 (50 now). I was off-duty, end of 2nd shift. Came home to no clean diapers and a very tired wife. Left her at home with the baby, took my 38 Smith & Wesson and all the diapers to an all night laundromat. An "angel dust" high shirtless young man attempted to car jack me at knife point. I pulled the S&W and he decided it was a bad idea. He ran off and no one was hurt. So reading this story reminded me how I could have left my wife and baby in the same tragic way. My heart goes out to this hard working family man. I live in MN... if you live here or AZ, you can get a carry permit. get one and carry all the time. I do. I feel safer, I don't notice the firearm anymore... it's just another piece of my wardrobe.

Bike Bubba said...

And if your state is one of those backward states that don't allow citizens to carry, get a canister of pepper spray, or learn a martial art. You can't always stop an assailant from throwing the first punch or firing the first shot, but if you survive the first, you can at least return fire.