Tuesday, November 25, 2008

You're forbidden to be armed. Us, maybe not so much



"I’ve heard the league [NFL] say you don’t need a gun. But if you haven’t been in my situation, you really can’t answer that question. I would never use a weapon in the wrong way or look for trouble. But I’ll tell you this: I will protect my house."

Dunta Robinson, Houston Texans cornerback who has a squeaky clean record in regards to troublemaking, as opposed to the tiny amount of thugs in the league who end up giving all of the players a bad reputation.

Robinson and his two small children were the victims of a home invasion robbery at his gated-community abode in September 2007, during which Robinson was tied up with duct tape and the kids tossed into a closet. He's quoted in ESPN the Magazine that he believes that he was spared because one of the armed robbers recognized his player picture on the wall and subsequently told him, “You’re a good player, so I’m not going to kill you”.

The NFL forbids players from possessing firearms on all NFL property, including in their personal cars in club or stadium parking lots, vehicles that they sometimes don't arrive at until it's very late and very dark. It seems the head honchos, though, will spin the fantasy all day long about how much they care about their players’ safety:

"Put simply, the League, the Players Association and law enforcement authorities urge you to recognize that you must not possess a gun or other weapon at any time you are performing any service for your team or the NFL."

Hmmm, I wonder if the muckety-mucks in the league office use armed security to protect their precious behinds at NFL corporate headquarters in New York.

I contacted them in order to find out.

Naturally, John, the person in the spokesman's office I ended up conversing with, wouldn't comment:

"I'm not at liberty to discuss security arrangements"

Read into that what you will.

No comments: