Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Someone else that had the same problem

An attorney with whom I've been corresponding with by email about Monday's incident has kindly pointed me to the video below, in which a student videographer was unlawfully detained by Tacoma, Washington police because he was filming the Port of Tacoma from a public street (right next to some major news media, by the way, who were not hassled and detained, as the student was). The student's subsequent complaint initiated an internal-affairs investigation, and ultimately resulted in the student's receiving a formal letter of apology from the police department.



This same attorney has informed me that I "appear to be on solid ground" as my experience pretty much mirrors the one captured above, which reinforces my opinion that I was doing nothing illegal during my field trip.

We'll get back to our regular programming now, but will keep everyone updated as events warrant.

No comments: